Posted on May 28, 2009 in Working Online p>
In the first post (How To Respond to Failure Part 1) I covered how failure needs to become an affiliate marketers friend. I went in to detail about how failure is a NECESSARY part of this business and it should not be feared, rather EXPECTED. Some would say why? Some live in a make believe land where all who are famous got to that position without hard work, disappointment, and failure. I do not, nor should you.
Failure is a friend because it CANNOT become an enemy. Yes, you don’t want to visit failure’s house hourly or daily, but if you aren’t visiting on occasion, you aren’t succeeding in business. When failure becomes an enemy, fear begins to establish a stronghold. Fearful and timid affiliate marketers quit at an astonishing rate, most before ever really becoming affiliate marketers in the first place. You simply cannot allow discouragement to set in when you are a one or two man operation (obviously most affiliate marketers are one man shows). When you are down and discouraged, who is there to pick you up?
Failure can hurt and often will hurt, but it only means you are getting closer to finding what will work. A real key here is to minimize the COST OF FAILURE. Obviously you can play it smart and have a failure cost you $100, or you can be over zealous (far from conservative) and foolish in your actions where a failure can then cost you $10,000. I like to fail small…then win big!
Be smart and manage your failures wisely. This will involve some planning, it will involve more research, but this is your business. Treat it like one. Allow every failure to shine its light on your path to a profiting campaign, business plan, or overall success.
Posted on May 20, 2009 in Working Online p>
In the affiliate marketing world, nevermind the current economic woes, we will all face failure. For some of you reading this first sentence, you will think, “Yeah, it seems like I am continually facing failures. It’d sure be nice to win one once in a while.”
For many of our readers new to affiliate marketing or internet marketing in general, you likely experience failures that at time seem devastating, even career altering. Please know that you aren’t alone and that even the ultra successful experience similar thoughts / feelings as long as they are still working and pressing forward. Whether young or old, if you are still aiming for new heights, trying new techniques, building out new campaigns, or testing new waters, you will fail…again and again and again.
If we keep this in mind, we will most certainly find it easier to face defeat, plan harder to prevent major catastrophes, and learn as much as we can each time we encounter failures so that the next time won’t be so bad. Notice,how I bolded two words in the last sentence…next time. This is so vital in everything; business and all of life for that matter.If it wasn’t the case, then there would be NO reason to have a word like perserverance in the dictionary. In order to succeed you must fai and in most cases you must fail hard and often. Failure is not an enemy but a refining friend to the one who perserveres.
In considering the above statements, ask yourself this question:
“Am I in business to succeed and provide a living for myself or my family? Or am I simply playing games and wasting time?
If you answer in honesty that this is your chosen field of work and you are in it to make a living, then by all means, consider failure a friend. How easy it is for us to become jealous seeing those around us experience great victories and triumphs in the business world. Don’t deceive yourself however and think they had it easy or that they just win, win, win all the time. They too experienced many a dark hour and many a frustrating (money losing) day.
I hear people all the time say, “I want to be like ____________.” or “I wish I could do what ___________ can do.”
First of all, no you don’t. To get where PersonX is, you would have to do what they did to get there. You would have to SACRIFICE. You would have to face numerous failures and lose countless hours sleep. You would have to lose hundreds, thousands, or even hundreds of thousands of dollars to get there. You sure you want that? Will you pay the price?
Secondly, I must point out that though some experience a lottery like success story, please understand how that is an EXCEPTION, not the general rule.
Consider the following quotes that fit well with this post:
“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” Albert Einstein
“He who never made a mistake, never made a discovery.” Samuel Smiles
- “Don’t be discouraged by a failure. It can be a positive experience. Failure is, in a sense, the highway to success, inasmuch as every discovery of what is false leads us to seek earnestly after what is true, and every fresh experience points out some form of error which we shall afterwards carefully avoid.“ John Keats
“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.“ Thomas Edison
Tired of lame payouts? Get the bumps, Get the offers and utlimately get the cash! I will tell you how to get the best payout on any CPA offer.
1. Under promise over deliver on the offer. Don’t poke your manager for a BIG bump unless you can do something with the offer. Or if it is in a different niche you haven’t tried before tell the AM you will do the best you can and a bump would help. (I want to clarify on a big bump cause any offer you can ask for a bump and should get one of .05 to .10)
2. Get the best affiliate manager (AM) in the networks you can. If you are unhappy with your AM ask for another one. If it takes your AM to long to give you a bump or find out information on an offer ask for another one. Affiliate Managers can make or break you from being the best affiliate you can be (plus give you access to Private offers).
3. Find out which affiliate network has the offer direct. This is a little tougher but in general you can look at the base pay who has the highest start pay(this one isn’t full proof because sometimes networks set their margins low to attract more affiliates), also who can give you room to grow. Approach them and ask what they can pay you if you can do 500, 1000, or 5000 leads a day (the amount will vary depending on the type of offer).
4. Go Direct! If you are doing an offer with serious volume, why give the networks 5% to 20% as that can mean 1000′s left on the table. Hit up the company and see what they say, sometimes they don’t want to deal with you directly so be prepared to really sell yourself (remember it means more money in your pocket).
You have any additional tips you want to share about getting the best CPA offer Payout then leave a comment. Got a Question contact me or leave a comment and i will do my best to answer it.
I have gotten a few emails lately asking me why so many affiliate marketters mainly super affiliates end up doing ebooks, classes or setup private forums. The ultimate reason is a simple one. They do it for the money. They fall into two categories when they do this:
1. Desperate: They were a super affiliate made a ton of cash on a few select offers and that well dried up, so they are making a last ditch effort by offering their services at a cheap rate.
2. Bored: They are bored with affiliate marketing and want to try a different area of making money. Consulting is billion dollar industry, get paid to talk about what you know… sure why not as you have a captive audience.
I am not going to comment on any of the affiliates/super affiliates doing any of these things mainly because i haven’t used or tried their services because to ME it isn’t worth it. As in most cases taking the money you would spend on the ebook, private forum would be better spent testing out campaigns. As you have to realize the stuff they are putting in ebook, forum is all old news for the most part do you really think they will share their 100K a month maker, even Shoemoney admits one of the dumbest things he did was talk about ringtones, but he also states would he be who he is today without spilling the beans…. my thoughts are probably not but i bet he would have made a lot more off of ringtones.
IF any of affiliates/super affiliates read this, I am not bashing anyone that is trying their hand at other things just remember you will fall into one of the two categories and from my experience it is usually #1.
Posted on February 27, 2008 in Working Online p>
So last week I blogged about The Benefits of Working Online. so i figured I better give a real picture that it isn’t all roses and glory… but there are cons to working online. (but I Wouldn’t trade it for a normal 9 to 5)
1. Work from anywhere there is an internet connection. (this is also a con cause you just can’t seem to get away from your work… Even the cellphone I got it so i can do work and access my stats etc..)
2. Set your own hours. Yes this is a con… because you can so easily be LAZY…. I mean common yesterday I made $$,$$$ i should sleep in, ok sometimes i do… but if i got in that habit my earnings would tank over time.
3. You are Your own Boss. This is a con also because some people really need people breathing down their neck to be productive so you must be self motivating…
4. You work online so it’s is easy to get lost on Youtube searching for funny videos, myspace, facebook or reading stories that have nothing to do with your business growth.
5. Work in your Pajamas, shorts, or no clothes at all. This is a con only because it can drag on into RL (real life). I know many people that have made it online but if you were to meet them in person, they look like the slob down the street. Not saying you have to dress to the 9′s but you run a business somewhat dress like it.
6. Complaints or issues aren’t 8 to 5 they are 24/7. Your sites go down at 2am you lose money. Your ads stop running due to QS you are lossing money. Those PM’s about people spamming etc.. come 24/7.
7. Good, Dedicated, hard working designers and coders are hard to find. This is a major con online with sooo many freelancers… hence once i found good ones i held onto them.
8. No Google, MSN, YSM love can mean no or little money in your pocket.. The online business is very dependant on search engines… so when they don’t show you love your bottom line is effected.
9. A CPA offer gets pulled that was making you Big Money… Many cases there is nothing you can do but try to get another offer making money. Sometimes you get lucky and can work out a deal directly.
So there you have it some Cons to working online. As I stated before I would much rather do what i do online than go back to a normal 8 to 5. Any additional Cons I forgot?
Posted on February 20, 2008 in Working Online p>
I decided since Valentine’s Day is over things are getting back to more of a normal pace I would write a little bit on the benefits of working online.
1. Work from anywhere there is an internet connection. (it’s a rarity to go somewhere you can’t get internet)
2. The income doesn’t start and stop at 8 to 5. You can reach people 24/7
3. Set your own hours. I am not going to lie I put in more time than i ever did at my Engineering job, But I put in the time when and where i want to.
4. Startup costs are LOW!!! Compared to a B&M business it could cost you hundreds of thousands…. online, you don’t even have to buy a domain to make money online. (although i would reccomend buying a domain ($8) and hosting (under $10 month)).
5. It’s a Business Expense. No I am not cheating the system etc.. but you would be surprised what all you can write off as a business expense (Consult a good CPA or Tax Lawyer)
6. Cost of Expansion is low. Want to startup a 2nd website or marketing site Watch out its another whole $8.00…. because you can us same hosting account from before.
7. Even just surfing the internet for fun can be classified as ”Research & Developement”
8. You are your Boss!
9. Work in your Pajamas, shorts, or no clothes at all.
10. You literally can earn as much or as little as you want, only dependant on the time and effort you put into research, development, and promotion of your site or product.
So those are a few of the benefits of working online. Did you think of some benefits that i didn’t list leave a comment.
Posted on January 23, 2008 in Working Online p>
I was surfing around the Internet looking at some website media kits that were local to my parents (Louisiana). I came across this media kit (http://www.redrivermoms.com/media/RedRiverMoms_Sales_Brochure.pdf ) and I got a large chuckle out of it.
First off it doesn’t give any real stats about the site. It just talks about women online in general and what they spend. While i think this is good information to have, it gives me no gauge if these type of women are on your site, nor how many visitors even come to your site. It could be a 100 a day or 100,000, I guess they want you to call them to find this out.
The best part comes when you check out the advertising rates on page 2.
As a website owner you want to give advertisers a break for the longer they commit to advertise on your site… but look at these numbers.
Calendar Sponsorship 6x$450=$2700 12x$250=$3000 ( so for $300 more you get 6 months additional)
Photo gallery Sponsorship 6x$500=$3000 12x$350=$4200 (this is more like what i would expect to see, still seems cheap to me for 12 mo. Compared to 6 mo.)
But here is where it starts to make you wonder if a 6 year old did the rates.
Channel sponsorship 6x$400=$2400 12x$200=$2400 Hmmm should i take 6 months or 12 months….. They are the same price! I wonder if anyone has just bought a 6 month….
The dynamic tile and skyscraper spots are the same way whether you get 6 months or 12 months it is the same cost!
But here is the ultimate topper.
Run of Site Leader board 6x$125=$750 12x$50=$600 WHAT! Ummm i think i will take 1 year! Thats right 1 Year of advertising is less than 6 months.
I have had the privilege over the past few months to help beta test the Pepperjam Network. I have to say they are truely a company by affiliate marketers for affiliate marketters. They are still building up their list of offers (new ones added daily), but for being a company out the gate they have plenty to keep you busy. They are catering to both the Lead affiliate and the Sale affiliate, so you will find a nice mix of both types of offers.
The creation of Pepperjam Network represents over eight years of research and development and the combined ideas, feedback, and intelligence of hundreds of affiliate marketers and advertisers.
Here is a list of some Highlights of Pepperjam Network:
- Pepperjam Network addresses two of the most significant shortcomings found on other existing affiliate networks: (1) poor, unreliable communication tools and (2) lack of affiliate transparency.
- With Pepperjam Network, affiliates and advertisers can communicate in real-time via Pepperjam Chat™, thereby providing a reliable communication system to build stronger, more profitable partnerships.
- Pepperjam Network provides advertisers with an unprecedented measure of affiliate transparency, which helps to establish trust, protect brand integrity, and lays the groundwork for open, long-term, profitable relationships.
- Pepperjam Network uses Web 2.0 technology to provide affiliates and advertisers with an easy-to-use, clean interface.
- Pepperjam Network offers industry leading SID-level tracking and reporting (great for sophisticated search marketing affiliates)
- Pepperjam Network introduces pepperjamADS™, which is a first-ever affiliate marketing widget that affiliates can use to serve customized contextual ads from multiple Pepperjam Network advertisers at the same time.
- Pepperjam Network contains a knowledge vault, which is exclusive to Pepperjam affiliates. The vault contains exclusive access to a list of tools and educational resources used by Super Affiliates.
- Pepperjam Network represents over eight years of research and development and the combined ideas, feedback, and intelligence of hundreds of affiliate marketers and advertisers.
- Pepperjam Network launched with over 100 merchants and growing quickly, including Blockbuster, Jelly Belly, AeroGrow, Oscar de la Renta, BabyPhat, Rocawear, Ben Sherman, FlyCell, SinglesNet, SEOmoz Premium, and many more.
- Pepperjam Network has its own affiliate program that pays out up to $7 per approved publisher application
- Check out the Pepperjam Network Blog for videos, commentary and updates on Pepperjam Network and the broader affiliate marketing community
- Pepperjam Network is FREE to join.
I suggest that every affiliate give Pepperjam Network a try, otherwise you could be leaving money on the table.
Are You Planning for Failure? Sounds like a stupid question but it really isn’t. What i mean is in those times you fail or in those times of downturn are you planing for them incase they come. Here are some tips that can help you through those failing and downturn times. (downturn could mean an offer gets pulled, or traffic tanks etc..)
1. Are you diversified? Are you reliant on just one offer or just one website? If so you are setting yourself up.. you need to diversify try promoting a new offer or website.
2. Have you saved anything? With the world of online marketing there are great months and there are bad months. The key is in the great months you don’t go blow all your money (on Fancy Cars and Vacatons, but do have some fun you did earn it) but put some aside for those months when things aren’t so hot. Nothing worse then living the high-life and 6 months late you are selling all your stuff so you can eat. I have seen it happen to people.
3. Do you have a plan to succeed? More than just enjoying what you are making now and where you are at, but do you have a plan to succeed in the future or do you just plan to ride that single wave… me personnally i catch as many waves as possible.
4. When you do Fail (not a downturn or offer pulled) but just cant seem to get some offers to work. Try learning from them just with every success you can learn from every failure. Maybe you found there wasn’t as much traffic as you thought or maybe there is so much traffic but people want what you are offering for free and you are selling it.
5. Don’t Give UP! Plain and simple people try and fail in the online world everyday the beauty of it is that the online world has such LOW startup costs compared to Brick and mortar businesses.
6. You don’t have to go it alone. While in partnerships all the reward isn’t yours but with a team or partnership you can go much further than you could on your own. The key is to put people around you with great skills in where you lack. (Disclaimer WORK everything and i mean everything down to how many bathroom breaks a day … ok well maybe not that detailed… but you don’t want to do a partnership come to find our later your partner always takes off the full month of Jan to go skiing)
Hopefully this has helped you to get your mind thinking… do you have a tip of how to plan for times of failure or even how to plan to succed? let me know by leaving a comment.
I just wanted to make a post to say thanks to Jeremy for featuring my shirt and blog. But secondly to let my readers know if you want to get a cheap link to your site from a quality blog sending in Shoemoney a T-shirt is probably THE CHEAPEST way and honestly it isn’t limited to just Jeremy… nothing feeds anyones ego more than sending them free stuff (this includes me). As you will notice basically any time i (or other bloggers) have gotten anything cool for free from a network, advertiser, person or blog I (they) have given them a note of thanks in the form of a blog post. As a side note: this upcoming week i will be making a post or two… sorry i haven’t posted more but have been to busy getting some new things out the gate. One of my posts will be about failure and downturns and how to deal with them. Have a great weekend!More Affiliate Information »